Monday, July 18, 2011

First day of coal trip

I had my first upclose observation of a
windmill today in Parsons, WV.  My first thoughts are about their other worldly appearance.  The stark difference between this giant manmade structure placed amongst the natural beauty of the surrounding environment was appealing to my eye.  The sound made by the blades reminded me of the noise generated by the space travel machine in the movie "Contact".  I am not sure about having one of these in my backyard but it has to be better than the railrod crossing located 100 feet from my home door now.
We also went to the town of Thomas and heard about the history of the area and were able to make some first hand observtions concerning changes in the town.  What appeared tobe a bustling coal town back in the day is now filled with several refurbished older buildings that house an eclectic group of artsy craft stores and eateries.  Our speaker drew our attention to the differences between northern coal towns and southern coal towns noting the lack of violence in strikes in the north versus the southern coal towns.  From what I picked up, it appears that the treatment of the workers by the owners of tbe coal companies had a great influence on the level o violence that history would record for these people.  No surprises there.  Inhumanity breeds inhumanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment